Friday, April 30, 2021

Book Review: "Long Walk Home" by Ellyn Oaksmith

Up for a second-chance romance in a beautiful Pacific Northwest setting? Here’s one for you: Ellyn Oaksmith's newest book, Long Walk Home.

Ten years ago, Lola and Gus were in love. They were teenagers from different worlds—she was the youngest daughter of the family who owned the Blue Hills winery, he was a bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks. Then one night Gus made a host of stupid decisions which put Lola in danger and landed him in jail, and pushed him out of her life.

Now, Lola wants to make a bigger impact at the winery but keeps running into resistance from her older sister, Carmen. Lola thinks she’s ready to be the chef for Blue Hills and has so many ideas, but Carmen still treats her like the little sister. So when Lola gets the idea to build some tiny cabins for vacationers on a part of the winery’s property, she has to go behind Carmen’s back to get it done.

The last thing she expected is that the master carpenter assigned to build the cabins is Gus, who has returned home to try and make amends with those he hurt, and hopefully make a fresh start. But Lola’s father threatened him to stay away from her all those years ago—will anyone be able to see him for the man he’s become, not the boy he was?

If you had a second chance with your first love, would you take it? Lola and Gus’ story plays out amidst family struggles, as Lola demands that her ideas for the winery be taken more seriously by her family. All of this takes place against a gorgeous backdrop.

I enjoyed Long Walk Home a great deal. I love second-chance love stories and definitely rooted for Lola and Gus. I did think Lola acted like a brat sometimes, and Carmen was inflexible, but that’s family dynamics for you!

This is the third book in a series but I read it as a stand-alone and didn’t feel like I missed anything. Oaksmith’s imagery made me feel like I was there (and I wished I was), and her descriptions of food made me hungry!!

I was glad to be part of the tour for this book. Bookouture provided me with a complimentary advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making it available!!

No comments:

Post a Comment