Saturday, April 3, 2021

Book Review: "The Last Time I Lied" by Riley Sager

Riley Sager's twisty mystery had me HOOKED! Can’t believe I waited so long to read The Last Time I Lied!

“What happened to Vivian, Natalie, and Allison wasn’t an accident. I know because I’m the one who caused it. Although their eventual fate remains a mystery, I’m certain that what happened to those girls is all my fault.”

Fifteen years ago, Emma attended Camp Nightingale. She was assigned to a bunk with three older girls, and found herself drawn to the self-proclaimed leader, Vivian. Cocky and cruel, yet vulnerable, Vivian took Emma under her wing, although no one was ever free from her sudden cruelty.

One night Emma awoke to find Vivian, Allison, and Natalie sneaking out of the cabin. Vivian told Emma she was too young to tag along. That was the last time anyone saw the three girls.

The mystery of their disappearance has haunted Emma since that night. She became an artist, and every painting includes the three girls, hidden beneath the elements Emma creates. Fifteen years later, Emma’s work catches the attention of Franny, the wealthy owner of the camp, and she makes Emma an offer: she’s reopening Camp Nightingale and wants Emma to work there for the summer.

For someone haunted by that one night, this could either be the move that brings closure or destroys her completely. Because there are secrets about that night that Emma has kept bottled up all these years. And she’s not the only one who’s kept secrets. Whose secrets might prove dangerous to a new group of campers or counselors?

It’s funny—summer camp is such a popular setting for horror movies and thrillers, but I went to camp for 10 summers and no one was murdered or attacked or disappeared. Did I miss out? Lol.

As many of you know, I have a tough time with thrillers more often than not because I usually figure everything out before the conclusion. I must say, even though I predicted one thing (although not quite the way it happened), this book kept me guessing, and I had to stay up and finish it. In my mind, you can't beat that!

I've now read three of Sager's books and The Last Time I Lied is definitely my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment