Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Book Review: "Spare" by Prince Harry

Prince Harry's memoir is an informative, poignant glimpse into the life of one of the most recognizable princes.

Yep, I did it. I don’t normally read celebrity memoirs (unless they’re by chefs), but I will admit that I’ve always had a little bit of an interest? obsession? with certain people in the royal family. And I loved Meghan Markle in Suits, so how could I not get excited about her marriage to Harry and how in love they seemed?

But of course, it’s not the royals without drama. I know I have friends who are “Team Kate” and some who are “Team Meghan,” but in the end, will we ever know the full story? And does it matter?

Anyway, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Spare. It really focuses on three things—Harry’s dealing with, and his grief over, Diana’s death; his rebellious phase and his time in the military; and his relationship with Meghan and all that followed. At the end of the day, though, this is Harry’s memoir, so all of this is seen through his lens.

Could the book have been a little tighter? Yes. Did I need as many references to the Prince’s, umm, staff? Not really. But the emotions are palpable in this book and it really made me think about what it would be like to be raised as secondary to your brother.

2 comments:

  1. I'm listening to this one now. It is really interesting to see his perspective on everything. I can't help but feel a bit sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete