Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Book Review: "We Used To Live Here" by Marcus Kliewer

Oh, Bookstagram FOMO, you are too powerful sometimes!! I don’t read horror very often because I’m a complete and utter coward, but somehow I felt compelled to read this book that everyone has been raving about. And now, if there’s a knock at the door, I freak out!

Charlie and Eve flip houses. But the newest house they’ve bought is all the way in the Pacific Northwest, and it’s not quite the steal that Charlie told Eve it was.

One night, while Eve is in the house by herself, there is a knock at the door. A man is standing there with his wife and three kids, and he tells Eve he grew up in this house. He asks if he could show his family around. It shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes, tops. Eve isn’t really comfortable with this, but she also doesn’t want to disappoint these people. What could go wrong?

This book is utterly CRAZY! I had an eerie feeling from the start and it got more and more intense as I kept reading…and I couldn’t stop reading it. While I don’t like feeling so uncomfortable, this kind of psychological terror is so effective and unsettling.

This was such a fast and compelling read—or maybe I just wanted to finish it quickly! The ending left me with so many questions that I re-read it a few times just to be sure I got it. I know I’ll be thinking of this one for a long while!

1 comment: