Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Book Review: "Lo Fi" by Liz Riggs

Alison left her home in Michigan to move to Nashville. She’s in love with the city and the opportunity to immerse herself in music, which she loves so much. She works at The Venue, a club where both aspiring artists and famous bands come to play.

“I just work the door. I stamp hands. I’m not even a critic or journalist, not a true insider. I’m not in a band. To even say I write songs wouldn’t be fair, not in a town full of songwriters. If I’m anything at all here, I’m just a fan.”

Al would love to become a musician, but after a disastrous performance at an open mic night (she refers to it as “the incident”), she has no desire to perform again, nor has she been able to find the inspiration to write more songs. So when she’s not working, she and her roommate go to clubs and hear bands, and even get to attend some exclusive parties.

When she is working, Al is also drinking a lot, sleeping with the bartender, talking about music, and flirting with Julien, her coworker. She’s also trying not to obsess over her ex, who is the lead singer of an up-and-coming band, or dwell on the disappearance of a famous singer.

Al has no idea what she really wants, or how to get what she thinks she wants. She knows she wants Julien but can’t seem to fully commit to that, and she wishes she could perform again, but she can’t get past her fear. It takes help from some unlikely sources to move forward.

It took a bit for the book to hit its stride, but then it really clicked for me. Liz Riggs uses a stream of consciousness style at times, but it really puts you in Al’s frame of mind. It reminded me of being in my 20s and going to concerts all the time, barely sleeping and living for music.

No comments:

Post a Comment