Friday, September 25, 2020

Book Review: "Good Girl, Bad Blood" by Holly Jackson

There are times when you can’t shake the need to investigate crimes even when you want to...

Don’t you love sequels that are just as good as their predecessor? That’s truly the case with Good Girl, Bad Blood, Holly Jackson’s sequel to The Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, which I read and absolutely loved earlier this year.

Pippa Fitz-Amobi is done being a detective. After she and her family have put the fallout from the murder case she worked on behind them, she has sworn not to get involved anymore. There’s too much risk. She and her boyfriend work on her podcast and that’s the extent of it, save monitoring the trial that is taking place after the murder case.

When one of her closest friends comes to her and asks for her help in finding his missing brother, she turns him down but tries to use her connections with the police to help. But when the police don’t seem to care, Pip feels as if she has no choice but to try and figure out what happened.

She knows the risks but she knows she can help her friend. And now she has an audience to listen whether she succeeds or fails—but will the culprit know if she’s on to them? Can she get the police to listen before it’s too late?

I think Jackson is a terrific storyteller, and I was hooked from start to finish. She threw lots of twists in, and although I’ll admit I suspected the culprit briefly, I was still surprised. Of course, it’s always dubiously amazing how perceptive amateur detectives can be in books, even suspending my disbelief a little didn’t detract from my enjoyment.

This is suspenseful, thought-provoking, and even surprisingly moving at times. I hope Jackson has a third book planned!!

I got this from Book Depository; it publishes in America in March 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment