Saturday, March 13, 2021

Book Review: "Later" by Stephen King

With Later, The Master returns with a nostalgic-feeling book that has glimpses of Stand By Me and IT in its storytelling.

Sometimes growing up means facing your demons. Jamie is a young boy growing up in NYC, the son of a single mother who tries to do her best to give him a good life, even when they're struggling financially.

Jamie has an unnatural ability, one that few others have. Sometimes it traumatizes him, but most times it’s fairly innocuous. There are times, however, when he can use it to gain information to help someone. However, Jamie’s mother warns him to keep this ability secret because he could be exploited.

When an NYPD detective, trying to secure their own future, uses Jamie to try and find out a serial killer’s last move, it exposes Jamie to the more terrifying side of his abilities, and awakens fears and anxieties that will haunt him and make him question everything around him.

I’m being purposely vague with the plot description of Later because I went into this book knowing next to nothing, and I might have had different expectations if I knew more. I really loved Stephen King’s storytelling style here. It drew you in and made you worry how he was going to scare the s—t out of you and/or break your heart.

There’s a lot I enjoyed about this book, but in the end, I didn’t find anything really scary about it. The ending was a little anti-climactic for me as well.

Still, reading Later reminded me of my younger days, reading King’s early novels and being totally transported into his worlds. It’s nice when he writes a simpler story every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment