Monday, November 15, 2021

Book Review: "The Comfort Book" by Matt Haig

Matt Haig's The Comfort Book is one of those perfect little books you’ll want to give as a gift over and over again.

Oh, this book, y’all! I’ve said before that sometimes books come around at just the right time, and boy, this one sure did for me. Talk about a big hug and a thumbs-up and a pat on the back, all in book form.

As Haig explains in the introduction, “I sometimes write things down to comfort myself. Stuff learned in the bad times….It is a strange paradox, that many of the clearest, most comforting life lessons are learned while we are at our lowest.”

This is truly one of those books that you can pick up from any point and just marvel at what you’re reading. It’s full of advice, anecdotes, encouragement, lists, stories, things designed to bring comfort to those in need. Many of these observations helped Haig through his serious emotional struggles.

Here are two favorites of mine:

“You don’t have to continually improve yourself to love yourself. Love is not something you deserve only if you reach a goal. The world is one of pressure but don’t let it squeeze your self-compassion. You were born worthy of love and you remain worthy of love. Be kind to yourself.”

“I used to worry about fitting in until I realized the reason I didn’t fit in was because I didn’t want to.”

This is just so beautiful. I’ll be re-reading The Comfort Book so often because just picking up the book and opening it at a random point feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment